We encourage couples to go through a process of counseling and discernment prior to engagement rather than simply doing pre-marital counseling. Often once a couple is engaged the attention is focused on preparing for the wedding rather than preparing for the marriage. Therefore, it seems fitting to devote focused and intentional time prior to engagement on discerning if a person is the one to marry, discussing the timing for when to be married and also preparing for a lifelong marriage.
This process is still being developed but our encouragement is for couples who foresee themselves desiring marriage and considering engagement in the future to connect with a CityLights leader.
DNA Groups are small groups that form within Life Communities that focus on Bible reading, accountability and prayer together. The DNA Manual that has content explaining our Identities, how to do S.H.A.P.E, the 4 G’s of Gospel understanding, and more.
Fasting is often a forgotten spiritual practice. For those who desire to participate in the various spiritual disciplines, there is often confusion surrounding fasting. Below is a link to a handout that gives some basic instructions surrounding fasting.
As a church, we view children as a blessing from God and we dedicate our children to Him. Often Christian parents desire to do this and have related questions. Below is a link to a handout that provides some basic information.
To have your child dedicated:
- We ask parents to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- We ask parents confirm that their beliefs align with the beliefs of CityLights.
- We ask parents to be regular and committed to CityLights community.
- We ask parents who are living together and who are not married to take steps to acknowledge and surrender to God’s plan for their relationship before participating in a child dedication service.
Parents are asked to make a commitment when dedicating their child.
Below are the three questions that parents are asked during the dedication ceremony.
1. (PARENTS) Do you receive this child with gratitude, as God’s gift to you and your family? And do you hereby declare your desire to dedicate yourselves and (CHILD) fully to the Lord? If so, please respond by saying “we do.” (“We do.”)
2. Do you commit to be parents of personal faith, recognizing your children are more likely to follow God’s path by the model they first observe in you? (“We do.”)
3. Do you pledge as parents that, with God’s fatherly help, you will bring up (CHILD) in the discipline and instruction of the Lord, making every reasonable effort, with patience and love, to build the Word of God, the character of Christ and the joy of the Lord into your child’s life? (“We Do”)
Finances and God can be a touchy subject. Yet, we discuss finances openly as a church because we recognize that Jesus discusses finances frequently. Finances are connected to our heart and God cares about our heart. Therefore, it is important for Jesus-followers to understand the Bible’s teaching on finances and to handle resources in a way that honours him.
We don’t expect or desire for visitors who do not follow Jesus to give. Our Events and Gatherings are open for you to participate as our guest. We do view the stewardship of our finances as an act of worship and believe it is important for Jesus-followers to understand, process, and obey God’s instructions because in the end, it is about our heart.
View the Financial Stewardship Handout.